When a woman in an abusive relationship seeks Godly counsel from her Pastor, a minister or even a Biblical Counselor it is a matter of life or death. As a survivor I know how hard it is to admit you are a victim. When a victim finally admits she is a victim and ask for help it is very important that those counseling be responsible for the counsel that they give them and that they give good counsel. This is a matter of life and death.
When a woman seeks counsel she needs information, resouces , options, prayer, guidance, understanding, care, concern, hope and someone to walk with her. Forgiveness is a part of the healing process. How can she heal when she’s still in the abusive relationship?
Pastors, Minsters, Counselors, I beseech you to get the necessary training in teen dating violence and domestic abuse. Please stop telling women to pray and forgive and then send them back into the abusive situation with no plan for being safe.
Teen Dating Violence and Domestic Abuse are growing epidemics. Here are some statistics:
Teen Dating Violence Statistics:
- Nearly 1.5 million high school students nationwide experience physical abuse from a dating partner in a single year.
- One in three adolescents in the U.S. is a victim of physical, sexual, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner, a figure that far exceeds rates of other types of youth violence.
- One in 10 high school students has been purposefully hit, slapped or physically hurt by a boyfriend or girlfriend.
- One quarter of high school girls have been victims of physical or sexual abuse.
Domestic Abuse and Violence Statistics:
- Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often, the abuser is a member of her own family.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
- Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.
Daylight, Inc and New Mercies Christian Church offer trainings in domestic violence. DV101 is a 2 hour overview of domestic violence. We also offer Faces of Abuse, a 13 week course for counseling victims of teen dating violence or domestic abuse. Please email us at email@example.com if you are interested in a training for yourself or your staff.